From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 09:42:41 -0500
Iodine Supplements ??

concentrated in human milk to an incredible degree( M:P ratio > 1 to 26).
It is definitely contraindicated in pregnant women,  breastfeeding moms and
in all neonates.  As the levels tend to rise in the infant,  excessive
iodine will shut down the infant thyroid gland,  produce skin eruptions, CNS
depression, fever, vasculitis, glomerulonephritis, and a parkinsonian
syndrome.  The human fetal thyroid begins to concentrate iodine in the
12-14 th week of gestation,  and provides enough iodine for months of life
post-partum.

        In the USA,  our salt is iodized with enough potassium iodide to
prevent goiter.  No additional iodine of any source should ever be used in
pregnant women,  or  breastfeeding moms...this includes the
expectorant(cough syrup) iodinated glycerol,  the old formulation commonly
used as an expectorant(SSKI),  or iodine tablets.   Nature is much better at
controlling our essential elements than we are,  lets not play around with
potentially dangerous supplements.

T.W. Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine