From:
Karen Koss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 16:46:12 -0400
Hello fellow lactnetters:

Does anyone have information on the accuracy of PKU testing on breastfed
infants if done before discharge at 24 hours?   The local lab tells us that
the requirement is that the infant must have had a full protien feeding.

I know some parents are required to bring the infant in after discharge for
the PKU test.  Are many hospitals doing the test before discharge?

What if the infant has not fed well?  Many times the feedings are not
assessed.  Is there a finite amount of colostrum the baby must receive for
the test to be valid?

This question comes to me via the state health department and I have no
answers to provide.

Thanks in advance for your input. I know it will be great!

Karen Koss