From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 00:40:33 -0400
Please forward this message to the mother with the arthritis flare-up.  I
am a family physician with limited experience in this area, but the AAP
lists many non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as compatible with
breastfeeding, such as ibuprofen (Motrin), mefenamic acid (ponstel),
naproxen (naprosyn), piroxicam (feldene), tolmetin (tolectin).  These may
be options instead of the voltaren.  Also, I had a patient in my practice
who had an initial onset of rheumatoid arthritis two months postpartum,
and her rheumatologist maintained her on prednisone for several months so
that she could continue nursing, then switched to hydroxychloroquine once
she was ready to wean.  For the pain she had while still breastfeeding,
she used motrin.  Hope this helps.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]