From:
Laura Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:01:02 -0700
I have before me a paper by  G.D. Searle & Co who produce Asparatame
entitled "Use of Aspartame in Pregnancy".  Granted, this was put together by
the company that makes it but they cite credible references and appears to
be well written. Anyway, for what it is worth they state that "At intake
levels at least three times the 99th percentile (in most of the studies they
cited the intake was 200 mg/kg or the equivalent of consuming at one sitting
50 12-oz cans of soda sweetened 100% with aspartame) of the projected daily
intake of aspartame, there is no experimental evidence to suggest a risk to
the fetus from aspartic acid, methanol,or phenylalanine (the breakdown
products of aspartame) resulting from digestion of aspartame".  E-mail me if
you would like me to fax you a copy of the paper.  Looking at the references
I did not see anything addressing aspartame and lactation.  When I get back
from vacation (8/28) I will see if I can find out anything about its safety
while breastfeeding.  Its a good time to state what I'm sure most of you
already know but good to remember...its the dose that makes the poison.
Most moms probably do not consume enough for it to be a problem.  But I will
look to see if anyone has done any research.

A comment Julie about doing some work on breastfeeding and the environment.
It reminded me of a display we did in the COllege of Agriculture Lobby here
at the University of Arizona.  We wanted to educate the good old boys about
lactation and breastfeeding but within their realm of understanding.  So we
titled the display  "Breastfeeding.. A Natural Renewable Resource"  The
display was huge and hard to miss and got a lot of attention!  Anyway, maybe
think about looking at breastmilk as a renewable resource will give you some
more ideas.  Good luck!