From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 07:52:01 EDT
Hi, all.

I have another question I'm hoping you can help me out on.  A mom called who has
a nursing 2 year old (2 to many times a day). This child is a product of invitro
fertilization, and I guess that at the time mom had the invitro done, she had
other eggs removed and frozen for later use. She wants to get pregnant again
with those eggs (and has until March before the 3 year limit is up) and
anticipates being put on daily IM shots of Progesterone, 100mg per shot. This
will continue a minumum of 10 days (if pregnancy doesn't take) or 8-9 weeks if
she does get pregnant. She wanted to know whether it would be a problem to
continue to nurse her two year old. I looked in the 92 USPDI and it said because
of the element of the unknown it was not recommended for nursing moms (given
that some will come through the milk). Ruth Lawrence doesn't say anything about
it; and Riordan and Auerbach talks only of progesterone as a minipill--in much
smaller doses than what this mom will take.

She has not talked with her dr about this yet as she is anticipating a pat
answer of "wean" and she does not feel her daughter is ready to wean yet. She
will see him on Friday.

We talked about some options for her, in case the consensus seems to be that
weaning is the better part of wisdom. I asked her if she could postpone getting
pregnant for at least a month or two so that she could wean her 2yr old
gradually. She was very emotional about the whole situation (understandibly so)
and does not want to wean if she doesn't have to as the 2yr old is not ready.
And she has to do something by March with the eggs she has frozen, yet would be
very upset if she were to wean and not get pregnant.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC