From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 12:07:17 -0400
forum (Lactnet) is probably not for everyone.  Those who are looking for
straight facts (without the ramblings!) would most likely be more satisfied
with good reference books.  As I scroll through the postings, I skip over
things that are not of interest to me.  But, when I least expect it, I learn
a new gem of wisdom that I will use forever, and it makes the reading
worthwhile.  But not everyone has the time- no question about it! As for me,
I love the rambling discussion format of Lactnet.

As far as biases go, I think there will naturally be some general agreements
with this group, such as ...breastmilk is vastly superior to infant formula,
  ...there is almost never a legitimate reason why a mother should need to
wean her baby if she does not want to,...extended breastfeeding is a healthy
practice worthy of our support and encouragement,...support for the
breastfeeding couple includes helping the mother find solutions to nightime
parenting, which may very well include a suggestion to bring the baby to bed,
(as most of the world already does.)  Are these biases?

One thing Edy said really hit me- and that was the fact that she has a
caseload of 3,500.  This must be moms and kids combined, but even so it's A
LOT of people.  Is this typical?  I don't see how anyone could be expected to
give the necessary ongoing breastfeeding help to that many mothers.  In my
community I was shocked to find out that there are only 300 breastfeeding
mothers out of 30,000- could this dismally low figure be because of
unrealistic workloads?