From:
Diane Karnbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:26:49 -0400
The following letter was contained in an article in the July/August issue of
New Beginnings.  In it, the author, Andrea Simmons, wrote about the amount of
“free formula and formula promotion” she was exposed to after the birth of
her son.
        She writes, “Since then, I’ve devoted a great deal of reading and research
to learning just how insidious and often downright dangerous theses marketing
tactics can be.  I came up with the following form letter that I send
whenever I receive a sample, coupon or booklet from formula companies.”

To Whom It May Concern, Consumer Relations Department:
        I recently received a (free carton of formula, sample, coupon booklet) from
your company.  It was returned to you via return mail.  This household
supports the WHO Code on marketing of artificial infant foods.  Please do not
attempt further unsolicited contact in the form of samples or coupons.
        While the availability of safe, properly formulated and manufactured infant
formulas is necessary in certain cases, we find such marketing strategies
reprehensible.  It is our fondest wish that pregnant women and new mothers
could be as deluged with promotional and educational material on the benefits
of human mild and breastfeeding to both mother and child, as they are from
the manufacturers of artificial milks.  This however is probably not to be.
 After all, where is the financial interest in that?  Who would profit?  Only
mothers and babies.
Thank you for your time

 I have gotten permission from the author to share this with everyone.  What
a great way to empower moms!  What a great way to tell the formula
manufacturers exactly how you feel about free stuff!.

Diane Karnbach, LLL Leader
Va Beach, VA