From:
JAMES HINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 06:59:03 -0500
Just had to comment on a bottle shaped like a breast......One of the early
feeding bottles was just that.  It is called a mammary bottle.  Was shaped
somewhat like a large glass breast shell with teat at the center.  The idea was
to have the baby think she was nursing.

From A Guide to American Nursing Bottles:
"This is the breast-shaped clear glass bottle which has the distinction of being
the first known nursing bottle to be patented in the US.  The Mammary nursing
bottle's shape was meant to fool the baby and had the added advantage of keeping
the milk warm, as the mother could keep the bottle inside her garment.  The
early bottles used an internal glass tube and a soft or hard plug nipple.  A
fill/vent hole with an applied or flared lip was incorporated into the shoulder
or the bottom edge of the body.  A small bottle, the capaacity ranged from 4 to
8 ounces."

It was also known as BREAST NIPPLE & LACTEAL.  Made from about 1840 to 1920.

Also interesting that about the same time the bottle that was later named the
"murder bottle" was also used.  It had the same glass tubing as described above
plus a long rubber tube with teat attached at the end.  The US gov't banned its
use around 1910 or so.  I recently found a modern version of the same using
plastic and silicone instead of glass and rubber, but it is the same bottle.
Marketed to use when infant in car seat or somewhere and can feed self freeing
mother from having to hold bottle.  Wonder why FDA let that one slip?  Are
mothers today much more inclined to keep all those tubes clean than the ones
years ago even tho we now know of bacterial contamination?  I don't think so.

Have a great day, everyone!

Love,
Pardee
Charlotte, NC