From:
MS CATHY LILES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 17:40:29 EDT
I got a call from a mother who is having serious health problems.
She has MS and is having a mild exacerbation.  She has also been
diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and has had bleeding for over two
weeks.  She has been on a Sulfa? drug and prednisone and her doctor
is now recommending she take Imuran along with prednisone.  Her
exclusively breastfed baby is 6 months old and will get his first
cereal tonight. She is very worried about having to have a colostomy
which is the next step.  Her doctor and her son's pediatrician have
recommended weaning and the information I found on Imuran is
contradictory. She also has questions about the risk of weaning in
light of the protective benefits of breastfeeding for these terrible
illnesses. Does any one have any current information about these
drugs, alternative treatments or risk-benefit of weaning in a
situation like this.  TIA

Cathy Liles, IBCLC
College Station, TX