From:
David Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 21:23:08 -0500
Hi,
According to some recent research I read, the researchers divided the
mothers into 2 groups, one offering only one breast per feeding and the
other offering both breasts.  At the end of the study period, they found
that although each group had one mom who voluntarily changed groups, that
the babies of both groups gained weight about equally and both groups of
moms reported feeling equally satisfied with breastfeeding.  So like some
others,  I recommend offering the first breast only until the baby either
falls off because he/she has fallen asleep or pulls off, then burp the
baby, change the diaper and offer the second side, but if the baby
doesn't want it, it's no big deal.  Just offer that side first the next
time.  So many of our moms are told in the hospital to be SURE the baby
takes both breasts at each feeding, and the moms are going crazy trying
to make a contented, sleepy baby eat more.  They relax a lot when told to
just follow their own baby's cues.
Kris Rogers