Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Kathleen G. Auerbach" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 22:19:00 CDT
Several things have occurred recently and two diametrically different
experiences point out how we really must individualize our upsetness at MDs
as a group.

Doctor #1: Mother whose Ped initially wanted her to give formula because
baby wasn't gaining well came to see me. We corrected some poor
breastfeeding patterns in her 5 mo old and baby gained well for a month,
but not as much as MD wanted. (within normal range and on the chart
appropriately when I charted it, however). Mother did NOT want to use
formula. I suggested (baby now 5.5 mo old) that teething baby might be
itnerested in solis and to focus on caloridcally dense ones (not carrots,
as MD suggested, but things like bananas and sweet potatoes/yams less the
syrups in the canned ones. This she did and in past 2 months, baby has
gained 1.5 lbs.  MD is happy!  He told her this AM (and she called me) that
"I am glad you saw that lactation consultant. Sometimes we doctors think we
know more than we do. We are keeping her report and are going to send
mothers to her whenever they have a breastfeeding problem."  Mother called
to tell me this and say thank you.  She is happy continuging to breastfeed
and give solids.

Doctor #2: On Sat. evening (very late) I saw a frantic mother of a 3-day
old who had breastfed 2 times in the past 24 hours. Mother called because
baby was not peeing or pooping and was referred by her childbirth education
teacher. I took one look at baby and saw a tongue-tie, mentioned this and
Dad slapped his knee and said, "so was I!" They clipped his tongue at 7
days and he "stopped crying." We talked about importance of feeding and did
so in the office with formula and also pumped her milk out for the next
feeding. I know an oral surgeon who will clip babies' tongues (and I am
currently helping his wife with their third baby). I called him at hoem and
he said to have the family come in today (Monday). I encouraged family
tocall pediatircan about myrecommendation. Mother did and saw him this AM.
He said: "no tongue tie; baby is justnipple confused. Just force her to
take breast if you can stand the crying AND if you can't she can still
bottle-feed, so you could just switch to that." Mother and dad NOT happy
with that advice, called and kept appt with oral surgeon. I met them there
and observed procedure, which baby slept through.  DDS had dad get into the
chair and rest baby on his chest.Snip snip, a tiny bit of blood, and they
were done!  Baby is now learning how to handle the "freed" tongue.  Family
is changing pediatricians.

These two examples on the same day show how widely different MDs are from
one another. PS #2 doc ignored father's report of being tongue-tied himself
and did not pay attention to any of my reports or notes of mother or that
baby had gained 5 oz in two days after being fed at least 8 times/24 hours
(mostly breast milk with a bit of formula).

Def. of LC service: "We are all faced with a series of great opportunities
brilliantly disguised as impossible situations."
Kathleen G. Auerbach,PhD, IBCLC - [log in to unmask]