From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 17:49:40 -0700
Debbie,

So you need to decide what to pack for Phoenix?  We all prefer to live in
swimsuits when possible but I suppose that is not appropriate for the
conference sessions!  A weather report:  Yesterday was 106 degrees (that is
41 Celsius) until it started raining, then it got quite cool.  We consider
it sweater weather when the mercury drops below 75 (24).  Coats and long
underwear are required when we go below 60 (16).

Seriously, we are in the desert and you will probably get sunburned if you
are not careful.  It can take as little as 10 minutes in the noon day sun.
Be sure to pack light weight clothing.  Natural fibers breathe best.
Consider having long sleeves and long pants to protect your skin or pack
LOTS of sunscreen.  We use sunscreen at 45 spf or higher and, we are
acclimated.  The long sleeves do keep the sun from heating your body as
much.  Also if you have a choice in dressy clothing, try to find something
that does not require a slip unless you have a cotton slip.  Those nylon
slips are MISERABLE at 110 (43).  The conference rooms are invariably
freezing cold and you may need a sweater for inside.  (No, this time I am
not kidding - you will not be moving and 68 (20) degrees can be very cold.)
Evenings can cool off to where you will enjoy walking around in shorts or a
light weight summer dress.  Usually the coldest part of the night ranges
betwen 80 to 90 (27 to 32) degrees, that is why locals do not appear to move
until after dark.

One other warning, we get half of our rain in the summer (mid July through
early September), if getting wet really bothers you, you may want to
consider a hat or umbrella.  This is not a lot of rain as we only average 7
inches per year, but it can come down quite hard when it comes.  I am really
looking forward to meeting you all at the conference.  I am wondering if I
will feel as enriched after this conference as I have after other
conferences.  I feel like the Lactnet is becoming, for me, my ongoing
support and information.  You all are so wonderful!!!  I feel so proud of
our professin after reading all that everyone has to say.  See you in 12 days.

All the BEST,

Linda Pohl, IBCLC