From:
"Joseph R. Hollen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 10:06:02 -0700
I too put pacifiers in the same catagory with bottle nipples, but I say
10 to 14 days, until breastfeeding is well established.  I make it clear
that establishing breastfeeding for some is a few days and others is
another story.  I usually talk to moms postpartum about this topic more
on a "warm-line" and can discuss their individual needs.  I do see a
place for pacifier use for some relationships and have developed an
attitude of every situation is unique.
I do not use pacifiers if the mom has sore nipples in the inital weeks,
*assuming* the sore nipples have to do with other problems and the
pacifier further complicates the situation.  I love using the finger for
sucking  but find parents often interpret this as a baby sucking on their
knuckle or a finger tip.  I go over exactly what i mean if they use thier
finger for meeting the infants sucking needs, which is not a one
sentence piece of information.
Any other thoughts on pacifiers?
Robin Hollen, Rn, IBCLC