Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:05:49 AST
Definately get sample to Beltsville on suspected equipment, but don't jump to
conclusions.

We have had an interesting case up here in Alaska ( actually three cases) that
looked like Foulbrood if you didn't consider closely.  In fact upon observation
one self-styled expert called it the worst case of American Foulbrood he had
ever seen.

In fact lab tests showen neither American nor European spores in the sample.

I was not completely clear from your description.  Did I understand that there
were both dead larvae and capped brood?  That is suspicious.

The cases I am talking about were cleared up by requeening.  Totally eliminated.
 That is not the most interesting aspect of the case.  In two cases the old
queen was put with another colony (one a nuc and the other a full colony).  The
problem queens had no further trouble.  We have yet to find any explanation for
this.  Any similar experiences out there?

I suspect that most beekeepers would have simply killed the bees and burned (or
sterilized) the equipment.  Careful observation and an inquiring mind can be
valuable, and can leave many new  (unanswered) questions.

Tom Elliott
Eagle River,  AK

P.S. To John Iannuzzi:

How does your Fireweed grow?  Just curious.