From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 09:52:18 -0400
I have a mother I have been working with for about 6 weeks.  Baby took three
weeks to latch-on to breast.  Mother finger-fed and pumped until baby finally
attached.  Milk supply was low, mother had infection (undetermined location)
at about 10 days pp and was on Keflex.  Then mother had heavier than usual
bleeding until baby was about 3-4 weeks old.  When I sent mother to have it
checked they felt there was no problem.

About a week after baby attached and began really breastfeeding at three
weeks mother came for appointment and felt very confident that milk supply
was up dramatically.  Against my suggestions she cut back on pumping and
supplement.  Baby's weight gain was slow but steady (4-5 ounces per week)
Baby was fretful all the time and looked skinny.

Father had history of allergies (milk and soy to name a couple) and what
little supplement baby got was similac.  I convinced mom to go off milk
products for a two week trial, supplement with nutramagen and see if week
could help this baby me happier.   Mother still had a hard time increasing
supplement and pumping more.  She just couldn't accept that her milk supply
was not up to par.

When baby went on Nutramagen supplement and mom went off milk products baby's
stools turned green.  Is this normal?  My experience with nutramagen is
limited and I usually see green stools when there is an allergy.

Last weight check baby was up to a 7 ounce gain in one week.  Baby less
fretfull, calmer, happier.  Finally convinced mother that baby would know
when to stop feeding and to feed the baby to until baby refused food.  Mother
is now pumping more and supplementing at breast with p-syringe and pumped Bm
or ABM.  Another ongoing concern of the mother is that baby will be fat.
 Mother is overweight but not horribly.  Father is as thin as a rail.

Any comments?   Any experience with Nutramagen causing green stools?

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC
La Crescenta, CA (near L.A.)