From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 12:14:00 GMT
Kathy
I quite agree that fibrocystic 'disease' is a misnomer, and give people the
idea that they are suffering a terrible affliction rather than a very common
type of breast development. There was a push to call this whole range of
breast symptoms ANDI (Aberrations of Normal Development and Involution),
but in medical circles the old term still sticks :(

>I am p hilosophically opposed to calling it fibrocystic breast *disease*
>when it reflects hormonal changes, etc.  Since when is that a disease?

Fiona Coombes
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Family Physician, IBCLC
Perth Western Australia