From:
MS CATHY LILES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 01:01:32 EDT
I have followed the discussion of universal precautions and
now day care with interest.  Local day care centers and
homes are refusing to care for babies who take breast milk.
This seems discriminatory to me. If universal precautions
are needed, then BMilk must be stored in a separate
refrigerator, bottle preparation and feeding must be done
with gloves, drips must be treated as spills and
contamination of other infants is likely. The biggest fear
is that the wrong baby will get a bottle of BMilk from a
baby and take a swig- if the risks are sufficient for health
care workers, they should be used in daycare also.
of course nothing is said regarding blood from scrapes and
scratches.  Nor are there any waves over other body
fluids/products such as urine, saliva, sweat or stools. Can
you imagine day care providers refusing a baby who urinates?
 Where will this end? How significant are the risks? Is CDC
recommending universal precautions in handling breast milk?
I have heard that OSHA is.  WIll this create yet another
barrier for breastfeeding mothers and babies? If LCs are
paranoid about contact with breast milk- what message is
that sending?!? I would appreciate your thoughts ands
comments on this.  Cathy