From:
Margaret Radcliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 10:49:34 -0400
Based on Jan's encouragement, I am going to introduce myself.  However, I
plan to post as little as possible, because I realize that Lactnet is
intended for professionals, which I am not (yet), and any information I can
provide is simply anecdotal.

My name is Margaret Radcliffe.  I have a daughter of 5, who breastfed for 14
months, then weaned herself to a bottle until she was 4.  I also have a
daughter 27 months old, who will wean when she is ready and who always
refused a bottle.  I work part time, which means that I am used to juggling
my schedule to meet my kids' needs, especially with one who wouldn't take
expressed BM from a bottle or a cup.

I became interested in the technical aspects of lactation when my first
daughter was born.  I learned a great deal the first week: new terms, like
lactation consultant, suck retraining, suck deprivation, breast pump, finger
feeding, SNS, nipple confusion, and flat nipples tell the story.  Later,
based on reading, I learned about the lowered suck reflex sometimes
associated with babies born at 37 weeks, and inability to coordinate sucking
experienced in babies whose mothers were given demerol during labor (I was
given stadol).

I'm active in LLL, but have not applied to become a leader, although I
might.  I am considering working to become a lactation consultant, or a
midwife, although I would really like to become an OB (my age, 40, my small
children, and no medical school nearby make that hope unrealistic).  I find
eavesdropping on the Lactnet posts very interesting, especially since it's
educating me as to what is not known, what is known to experts, and what is
generally known, about lactation and breastfeeding.

Margaret K.K. Radcliffe               [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Mining & Minerals Engr.
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA