From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 21:55:10 -0500
In response of use of ibuprofen, I need to add the info that ibuprofen is
indeed hepatoxic.  I have found antiinflammatories as a group a common
culprit in etiology of abnormal liver enzyme tests, and MDs know to screen
liver function tests on all people who regularly use anti-inflammatories.
My most memorable case is a woman who was taking ibuprofen only for 1 day
every month for pain with her menses. On screening labs one year, her liver
tests were elevated, and after a thorough evaluation, once she stopped the
infrequent use of ibuprofen, the problem immediately resolved! And,
theoretically, Reyes syndrome can be caused by any analgesic. All
analgesics can also cause renal damage. So...pick your toxin....nothing is
100% safe.   Anne Eglash, MD