From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 15:40:37 -0400
To Catherine and Joy:  Thanks for your comments on the baby who struggles
with latch-on.  I reassessed the dyad yesterday and the mother has a
nipple which is very inelastic, she couldn't elongate it with her
fingers; when the baby was done nursing, the nipple came out looking
totally unchanged even as he let go.  I believe the primary problem is
that the baby can't get the nipple far enough back to elicit the normal
suck reflex.  However, once on, he nurses very effectively.  He's
regained birth weight before two weeks.  Mother is very discouraged, and
just doesn't feel she can continue the trauma with the start of each
nursing.  She was not open to any new suggestions, and plans to do the
expressed BM in the bottle route.  She was open to continuing to attempt
nursing before giving a bottle, since the baby does have occasional good
nursing sessions.  She may come around with permission to try this route,
and the decreased stress may allow her some perspective.  Joy's
chiropractic suggestion is very tantalizing though I doubt it will be
practical in this particular situation.  Thanks again, Alicia.