From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 18:45:59 -0700
Catherine & all,
Just talked to the mother today. She has the baby fully back to breast
now, and says that soreness is minimal, though not completely gone. Her
MER was normal, he was not a gulper, and he was not terribly frustrated with
nursing initially except if you messed with how he did it. Unfortunately, in
the beginning she was being injured and *had* to intervene and try different
things. While baby fought the change in bottle nipple and fingerfeeding
and didn't do well on them, it seems to me that the week's work did bring
about enough change in him that he was able to go back to breast and take
more in, resulting in more milk per suckle and better organization all
around. Mom feels that he is doing well now because they are no longer
switching back and forth between feeding methods, but notes that he does
best when she can get him into a position higher than the breast, which she
can do on one side but not the other (he is still quite sensitive to any
changes at all; this is a success!) An interesting case indeed! I think
that her hard work and persistence were the most important factors of all.

On Thu, 18 May 1995, Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC wrote:

> Lisa,
> Interesting that this baby does better when drowsy.  Is he the type who gets
> all frantic when he's awake and not immediately attended to?  Babies who are
> having trouble organizing a bolus of milk for swallowing (as when mom has an
> overactive MER) often nurse better when drowsy.  Is he a gulper?  This is a
> very interesting problem.
> Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]