From:
Eduard Kaeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 08:18:36 +0200
    The latest fad in Germany is to routinely prescribe Jodid, an iodine
preparation, for pregnant and breastfeeding moms.  The women I have counseled
have not had their blood tested to see if their iodine levels are actually
inadequate.  But Bavaria is considered to me an area lacking in iodine.  I
have done a bit of research have continue to find contradicting info.  from
the authorities on how much is necessary for proper function and avoidance of
deformities, etc.  I have read 2 recent studies that state fully BF babes
growing in areas of lo iodine have beautifully formed thyroids.  (perhaps the
hi level of Vit A in MM contributes to that) A newspaper for German dr's
states that BF babes under 4 months need 30 micrograms of iodine and up to 12
mos.  80 microg.  per day.  I am concerned about this practice since so much
iodine can enter MM and too much iodine can cause an underactive thyroid.
But what is too much?  What amount can cause this result?  What is being done
in the States?  Thanks for your help!

    By the way, I use MM instead of BM for mothers milk, since BM reminds me
of what we called bowel movements as a child.  Some of the other
abbreviations are strange to me - perhaps because I've been gone so long from
the States and living in another language environment.  Perhaps a
consideration for others on Lactnet who might be non-native Eng.  speakers.

Anne C.Kaeser BA, IBCLC           e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Ulmenstr.4                        phone:   +49 8191 65617
D-86916 Kaufering                 (Germany)