From:
"Gary E. Prevatt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 20:49:49 EDT
Greetings all!  I'm a LLL Leader volunteering on the 1-800-La Leche phone lines,
and today I received a call from a mom with a 7 year old son with chicken pox.
She also has a 3 year old and a 6 month old, weight 16lbs, normal and healthy.
Question is-Mom has not had chicken pox.  She wants to know if she gets chicken
pox can she continue to nurse? What if the lesions are on or near the nipple?
My resourses say "covering her lesions while holding and breastfeeding her
baby." Should she pump and feed the baby her milk?  At what point are the
lesions considered not contagious while breasfeeding?  Her local leader shared
with her the same info I have, yet she wanted another opinion.  Any comments
would help, as well as resources.
Thanks
Susan J. Prevatt
Glendale, AZ