From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 17:26:58 -0400
professionals with outdated ideas, I have a few suggestions.  In regard to
the nurse who likes to limit feeding time, here's a good review article that
she might find helpful:  L'Esperance C and Frantz K.  Time limitation for
early breastfeeding. JOGNN March/April 1985;14:114-18.  As for the doctor,
I think I can respond, being of that persuasion myself.  I always learned a
lot from nurses and lactation consultants as well as other health care
providers.  Not all physicians are open to input, especially if it is
threatening, but I would advise you to directly give your report to the MD
if he/she is available.  For a good reference about jaundice, I highly
recommend the superb review article by Kathleen Auerbach and Lawrence
Gartner.  Here is the citation: Auerbach K and Gartner LM.  Breastfeeding and
human milk: their asociation with jaundice in the neonate.  Clinics in
Perinatology, March 1987;14(1):89-107.  Since it is in a respected medical
publication, he/she may take it more seriously (that is unfortunate, but
probably true in many cases).  It is sad to see how few physicians are up to
date on this important information.  If a major review on some heart disease
or other medical condition had appeared in 1987, we would be unlikely to see
the widespread continuation of previous practices.  However, as demonstrated
in Gary Freed's recent survey (JAMA 2/8/95), physicians are overall just
about as ignorant about lactation as ever.  Good luck, Alicia Dermer, M.D.