From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 09:55:39 -0400
Hi Pardee,

I was going to respond to your question about shaping the breast, but Lisa
answered the question beautifully.  I too find that if I have the mom
compress the breast slightly in the direction the babies mouth is going, sort
of like a nipple sandwich, the baby finds it easier than taking in a very
round breast.  For football hold, the mom generally cups underneath, for
transverse, she compresses from the side.  Seems to help the babies get a
bigger mouthful.

We finally have sun!  It looks as though it is going to be a lovely day here
in Wheaton.....

Take care all!

Oops...one more comment on the use of bottles.  Some have been promoted to be
"just like breastfeeding" or just like the mother's nipples.  I'm concerned
that there are nurses who are telling the moms that it's OK to use a bottle
because one type or another has been found to be best with breastfeeding.  A
reminder to the moms that women are not generally endowed with long latex or
silicone nipples attached to their bodies, and that ANYTHING going into the
babies mouth can precipitate nipple preference regardless of the type of
flow/suck or whatever.  There is a major difference just in the simple act of
drawing the breast tissue into the mouth by the baby, or putting the firm
silicone/latex teat in the mouth by the mother/hcw.  So, though I know all of
us know this, the message that some of the moms are getting via bf classes or
hospital staff is mixed, at best.  I think we have to continue to be
diligent.

Do I ever suggest the use of bottles?  Yep - because I think those dark
nights of the soul at 3:00 am when everything is bleak is the time the mother
is more likely to quit, and if I sense that, then I suggest she use an
alternative feeding method (pref. cup or fingerfeeding) all day, and if
absolutely necessary, use a bottle at night.  My most favorite is the
slow-flow newborn A style (as Pardee referred to it), my least favorite is
the flat top that also "has a bag that collapses like the mother's breast"
 (don't you love that ad??) When was the last time you saw a mother's breast
collapse??

Oh well.  Time to begin the day.  Just one more cup of coffee.....

Jan