From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 00:11:17 -0400
Hi, 'netters:  If anyone can clarify a few things about BFHI for me, I
would be immensely grateful.  I am chairing meetings of our hospital's
breastfeeding committee, and we're working on implementing BFHI.  We've
gone over the "Ten Steps" and have working groups to assess current
practices and where and how to implement what isn't already being done.
I was going to send to Unicef for an application for the "Certificate of
Intent", and one of the LC's on the committee stated that these are not
currently being given to hospitals.  I also got a letter from Minda
Lazarov in response to a donation for BFHI United States campaign, in
which she stated that US Committee for Unicef is preparing to launch the
initiative throughout the US.  Can someone clarify what the difference is
between certificates of intent and this new campaign?  What should our
hospital be doing to apply? Also, can someone tease out for me in simple
language the differences between WHO/Unicef's Baby-Friendly Hospital
Initiative and the so-called US Breastfeeding Health Initiative?  Which
one is US Committee for Unicef preparing to implement in the US? TIA.
Alicia.  [log in to unmask]