From:
Deena Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 1995 18:13:16 -0400
Theophylline is a medication used in asthma. It is considered compatible with
breastfeeding. Like all medication it can have side effects - it increases
heart rate, can make some children "wild" and has been shown in some children
to interfere with growth. However, many kids who have received it either
directly or via breastmilk have done fine.
Caffeine also increases heart rate and activity in some children so its
probably worth somewhat limiting intake but I would say non (we'd loose to
many bf mothers)
Chocolate can effect some babies but why not see if the baby is affected at
all frather thatn banning outright.
Speaking as a chocoholic myself...
--
*  Deena Zimmerman MD MPH                          *
*  Department of Pediatrics                        *