From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 00:04:40 -0400
Just a quick update.  While going through my files, I found a Medical
Associates Newsletter from LLLI, Spring 1995, containing a bibliography
on breastfeeding and dental caries, as well as a statement from LLLI from
April 1994.  For the person wanting "ammunition", you could call LLLI for
this bibliography, which is rather lengthy.  For everyone else, I will
quote from the LLL statement:  LLLI "respects the concerns of mothers and
dentists about a possible connection between extended breastfeeding,
particularly nighttime nursing, and dental caries...."; "...no valid
scientific studies to support that claim"; "unfortunately, researchers
have not asked pertinent background questions, incl family/genetic
history of tooth decay or poor enamel formation...mother's diet during
pregnancy and lactation...when were solids added.....what does child eat
and drink on a regular basis...has the child received sweetened
medicines..on a frequent basis....what type of dental hygiene is
practiced....does the toddler sleep for long periods at night with the
breast in his mouth?"..."It is LLLI's contention that a small percentage
of at-risk breastfed children develop dental caries in spite of
breastfeeding, not because of it."  Interestingly, the previously quoted
study from 1983(Brams and Maloney) is not referred to in this
bibliography.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask] (just realized I didn't sign my
last post!)