From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:29:00 GMT
It is interesting that this topic is of interest in the USA, as the Nursing
Mothers' Association of Australia has just decided not to hire out hand pumps
or used milk collection kits for electric breastpumps because of the risk
of infection, and subsequent legal liability for NMAA.
Our Medical Advisers (not named in the memo I received) explained that "Hep B
is extremely hard to destroy....chemical disinfection will not be potent
enough especially if some milk residue is still around". It was also pointed
out that even if the pump has been effectively sterilised, they may still
be implicated or suspected should transmission of infection occur.
Our used hand pumps can be donated to maternity hospitals with first-class
autoclave facilities for use by them.
It is somewhat of a shame, as this means that hire of pumps will become more
expensive for mothers, but their protection is more important.

I have only just joined Lactnet from Australia, and am delighted that such
a thing exists - congratulations to you all!!