From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:13:28 -0400
Kathleen,
Every nurse I know who works in nursery/OB shares your concerns and
occasionally sees the things you are observing.
I started a telephone home follow up program at our hospital a year and a
half ago. (Modeled after a program developed at Swedish Hospital in Seattle
and a JOGNN article by Cindy Evans)   I couldn't get money ( of course) for
in home follow up, but I did get an OK to do follow up calls.  The hospital
believed it would be good PR! Thats how I convinced them to let me try.  Now
the call backs are expected and very appreciated by everyone.  Talk to the
nurses at the hospital.  Encourage them to go out on a limb.  I had to start
on my own time, sometimes didn't get many hours, but now I'm sometimes
overwhelmed with follow up and lactation consulting.  Now everyone is talking
about doing home follow up for other nursing depts.  It's still hard to get
to doing actual in home follow up.  Be aggressive and proactive.  Mothers are
going home without good education and support.

Linda Rosetti BSN, ACCE, IBCLC
Clarkston, WA