From:
Virginia Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 10:58:46 -0700
Hi, Ginna Wall again, this time responding to the discussion about
postpartum hemorrhage and its effect on milk production.  There is a rare
syndrome called Sheehan's Syndrome, in which a severe postpartum
hemorrhage, causing hypotensive shock, results in blood being shunting
away from the anterior pituitary gland.  When this happens, there can be a
temporary or permanent hypopituitarism, and the first sign is failure of
the milk to come in.  I've seen it once (I THINK; diagnosis was not
confirmed and the patient was lost to follow-up) in fifteen years of
working in a high-risk perinatal referral center.

Not too common!