Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Marie Davis, Rn, Clc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 1995 00:35:48 -0400
mother who was complaining of breast pain (bilateral), deep, shooting,
stinging pain. . .  that the pain she was experiencing was
due to nerve damage from the babies sucking pattern and from overdoing it
with the pump <<<<
I would not call what you describe nerver damage but rather irritation. I
can't find it now, but I think it may have been Marsha Walker who described
it as neuritis or neuralgia.
The type of pain you describe follows the nerve root. There is a picture of
the nerve involved  in Lawrence (4th ed page 52). I have had mothers c/o pain
that shoots through the underside of the breast to their backbone. The pain
almost always follows a feeding but may be achey between feedings. The nipple
us either blanched white or deep purple immediately following feeding or
pumping. The pain is often so severe that it inhibits MER. The source of the
irritation is almost always readily observable: nipple pinching, not centered
in the flange of the breastpump, something that places pressure on the
underside of the nipple, where the nerve begins to branch out. The result is
a neuritis but not nerve damage.
As I said, we find that tylenol is not effective in reducing the inflamation
but ibuprofen is. Thanks for all the info on antiinflamitories being
nephrotoxic.
Also as for the RN/LC who prescribed medication.  I can prescribe certain OTC
medications if they are covered within my written protocols, much the same
way as a nurse practitioner does under the supervision of my physician
mentor. (In some states nurse practitioners can actually prescribe from state
approved drug lists) In my practice prescription drugs are always obtained
through my physician mentor.