From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 07:08:00 -0600
On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Edward Sterling wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> I'm just a backyard amateur, 2 hives...had up to 6 in Canada a few years ago.
> I took a classroom course to get started, then a "beeyard" course later to
> really
> experience beekeeping (when the book says "shake the nuc into the hive", YOU
> JUST
> GOTTA DO IT FOR YOURSELF TO BELIEVE IT! :-)
>
> Anyway...subject line is the question...my "beeyard" instructor grumped at queen
> excluders and said "they oughta be called 'honey excluders'...(grumble
> grumble)."
>
> Can I solicit feedback from you all? Agree, disagree?
>
> When to use it? Special circumstances?

I, too, was led to believe it was a honey excluder and in many situations
that may be true.  I started using excluders a few years ago and now
cannot imaginine not using them.
Excluders for me:
        - provide a management took to control queen location
        - save a great deal of time when pulling honey
        - prevent drips in Honey house because we have not had to examine
                combs for brood

Perhaps we would get more honey if they were not used but our expenses
would also be greater - they do save time.

Related to this:
        How do people clean the excluders for the next season - or do you?

        I have a cut-down drum with provision below it for a propane
torch.  I boil the water, dip the excluder, and shake off the junk.  I am
not altogether happy with this method and would like to hear of others.

Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada