From:
"Gordon L. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 08:56:35 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
> Some years ago I read a book by Taylor which suggested painting hive
> bodies with creosote as a preservative.  Anyone ever tried it?  I found
> it hard to believe that the bees would tolerate the creosote fumes.  I
> would be interested to learn of your experiences.  Thank you.  Jim

Creosote  is  an  'old  fashioned'  if  economical  and  effective
treatment  for  hives.   I  doubt  that many beakeepers now use it
because the bees _don't_ tolerate it well.  If you do use it, only
treat the outside of the boxes and give it _plenty_ of time to dry
proprly (a few weeks IMHO).  It's also _filthy_ stuff to handle --
gets everywhere.

Personally  I  use  Western  Red  Cedar  hives  which  are  pretty
rot-proof  anyway  and I give them a good coat of a _bee_friendly_
presenvative.  Be warned that there aren't many  of  these.   They
also typically need a while to dry out (few days).

Another treatment popular  in  some  areas  is  to  'varnish'  the
outsides   with   one   of   the  new-generation  porous  exterior
treatments.

I don't know if example product names help across continents,  but
I  personally use Cuprinol Clear preservative & Sadolin 'varnish'.
There  are  several   good   'varnishes'   but   very   few *safe*
preservatives.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]

In the beginning there was darkness and the Lord said  "Let  there
be light" and behold there was ...  let: command not found.