From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 05:21:00 GMT
/ . --- start quotes --- / .

<>Date:         Thu, 23 Feb 1995 21:11:39 -0500
<>From: "James D. Satterfield" <[log in to unmask]>
<>Subject:      Painting hive bodies with creosote
<>
<>Some years ago I read a book by Taylor which suggested painting hive
<>bodies with creosote as a preservative.  Anyone ever tried it?  I found
<>it hard to believe that the bees would tolerate the creosote fumes.  I
<>would be interested to learn of your experiences.  Thank you.  Jim

/ . --- end of quotes --- / .

   Hi James,

    My first question is the old creosote still available?  Its the
carbolic in the old creosote that repels the bees and is the best bee
repellent I have ever used or found, (carbolic acid), but alas its
availability to beekeepers is restricted by EPA regs. and can only be
used by those outside the laws of the United States. Creosote itself
also was used to stop serious robbing of bees in emergency situations by
brushing it around the bee hive tops and top super of the hives that
were being robbed.

    Creosote or mixtures of asphalt tar and creosote made satisfactory
wood preservatives for the undersides of the bottom board of bee hives
when it was legal to use. You would not treat the bottom with the
bees in the hive as the fumes would cause them to leave the hive for
fresh air and they would not return until the fumes had left. I have
seen them cluster out over night when a carbolic acid pad was left on a
hive by a tired beekeepers swamper, me, who had to return to more then
one bee yard to pick up the lost acid pad along with trips for hive
tools, smokers, water jugs, and everything else that could be left
behind. Guess I had a slow learning curve as a teenager, now that I
am in my Golden Years I take a spare everything so I don't have to
make a special trip back.

    Would I use creosote if it was legal now, naah, as if it is now
legal then all the good stuff that made it worked more then likely has
been taken out and replaced with something that does not work but will
inflate the cost x times. My apologies to the makers of Creosote if he
happens to read this tread as we never could afford to purchase a brand
name manufactured product down on the bee farm and made our own or did
without.
                                ttul Andy-