From:
"Gordon L. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 17:50:30 GMT
> Allen Dick responded to my post "Re:Bee Introductions/Cape Honeybees"
> with the following:
>
> < I'm not familiar with the mechanism by which the capensis overrun
> < the honeybees. In a few words, could you elaborate please?

Listening in on a superb explanation, thanks for such detail. I'd like
to clafiry a couple of items if I may:

> 3. Capensis queens can control (inhibit) capensis workers; scutellata
> queens cannot.

Does this mean that capensis laying  workers  go  totally  out  of
control in scutellata colonies.  I understand that thay lay fairly
regularly even in native colonies.

> 6. Because capensis workers produce parthenogenetically all brood
> produced by these workers will be female. That is, they do not
> produce drones like the laying workers of other bee races...

I guess that they produce _both_ M &  F  (diploid),  unlike  other
races that produce (virtually) only male progeny.  Right or wrong?

>   MIKE ALLSOPP
>       HONEYBEE RESEARCH DIVISION
>       PLANT PROTECTION RESEARCH INSTITUTE
>       P/BAG X5017, STELLENBOSCH, 7599
>       SOUTH AFRICA
>   INTERNET : [log in to unmask]
>   TELEFAX  : (021) 883-3285
>   TELEPHONE: (021) 887-4690/1

Thanks, regards,
--
Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]

Pain lasts but a moment, it is the fear of pain that deadens the heart.