From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 09:12:22 -0700
Liz:

Raid!!!! Ugh!!!  I for one don't want to handle samples soaked in organic
insecticides.  If you must use one of these, go for one of the solid
strips imprenated with the chemical and separate the bees from it - any
porous barrier will work.  In the U.S., the old Vapona strips were
extremely lethal to bees.  I once lost a whole colony after placing a
super on it.  The super had been stored in a closet that someone (unknown
to me) decided to keep free of bugs with a Vapona strip.  We aired the
super for several days, but the stuff apparently went into the wax.

In the U.S., I think this product has been pulled or re-formulated.  But
there are other similar products that use a semi-solid strip impregnated
with lethal chemicals.

Jerry