From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 08:52:40 -0700
You can kill and preserve insects with dry ice - a bit expensive but
works wonderfully for preserving color, etc.  We carry dry ice because we
analyze bees for industrial and agricultural chemicals and can't use any
chemicals to kill them that might "contaminate" the sample.  So, our bees
go from dry ice to a freeze drier.  Obviously, this approach is not
available to many, but I will bet you can get a small chunck of dry ice
to kill and preserve bees until you can get them home and then
dry/preserve them.  One approach that I have not tried is to dry them in
silicon gel in a microwave.  Works for flowers.  Go easy or you will have
cooked bees.

Jerry