From:
Margaret Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:01:54 -0500
Dear Naomi --

This is a topic of great general interest, so let's keep the discussion
here!

  It's sometimes hard to realize how quickly the "silent revolution" of
wide-spread pump use has taken place, with very little broad-based,
commercial-conflict-free research (particularly concerning families with
healthy term babies) examining the designs, efficacy, and comfort of the
products that people are depending on, in this booming, only-lightly
regulated market.  If you haven't done a search for "breast pump"
lately, go there now!

The first (expensive) double-electric, personal-use portable pumps just
arrived on the market in the 1990s. But, in the US, the 2010 Affordable
Care Act (ACA or "Obamacare"), implemented in various ways by insurance
companies by 2014, mandating lactation care and equipment, (in lieu of
standardized maternity leave) has now made pumps standard equipment.
Some statistics suggest that more then 95% of US families use pumps at
least part of the time. (And maybe the rest of them were maybe just too
busy to hear the question!).  Exclusive pumping (where any amount human
milk received, whether full or partial, is obtained exclusively by
someone's hard work with a pump) might account for 5 to 11 % of babies
getting their mother's milk.

And it's not just a US phenomenon
https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/breast-pumps-market

And where's the research concerning how many mothers/lactating parents
are pumping, to what intensity, and the reasons they're pumping and how
that experience felt to them -- physically, emotionally, logistically?
And how pumping versus what's now called "direct breastfeeding" affects
lactation's duration, and the health outcomes of both the person giving
milk and getting milk?  And if the statistics now now try to capture
important information on"human-milk feeding," will such research about
delivery method be done?

But the reality is that least partial pumping is the tool essential to
making breastfeeding and providing human milk even possible in many
lives our modern world.  Families seem rightfully convinced about the
product as "liquid gold," but maybe don't get as much information about
possible value of keeping nursing itself in the picture too.

As previously stated -- a big topic with no simple answers.

Margaret Wills, IBCLC, Maryland, USA

: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 14:54:43 +0000