From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:09:30 -0400
Like Jim I have a roof top bee yard - in my case 40 hives on top of a barn
to prevent bear damage.  I have had zero hive beetle issues with these bees
on a metal roof.  I also use black geotextile fabric as a ground cover in
my ground based bee yards and my beetle problems have almost disappeared.
I have never felt comfortable applying any insecticides near hives so
ground drenches are not an option for me.  Plant nurseries commonly use the
black geotextile fabric as a ground cover and it has a very long life and
eliminates weed problems too.  If you want a source for the geotextile take
a look at Berry Hill Irrigation out of southern Virginia.  They have it in
single rolls of varying width and don't mind shipping one roll.  Get some
sod staples to secure the edges.  It is water permeable and works great in
a garden too.   It is a good investment.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC