From:
Elien Rouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:47:01 +0200
Dear readers,

I don't write here often, but this time I want to react, also with my "hat"
President-Elect of ABM.
Thank you so much for the feedback on this Protocol. We already heared many
comments in this direction and we have made a few adaptations in the
process of writing and publishing a Protocol.
This said, I want also make a few additional comments:
1. The theme of Mastitis is highly complex and it also shows that we have
too few sound medical research in this field. For me it shows how women's
themes are forgotten in medicine. Google on scholar "mastitis" and
"prostatitis" and you see the discrepancy. Most of what we have is not of
good quality.
2. I personally see it as a big jigsaw puzzle where many pieces are
lacking. Each of us tries to see the complete picture although so much is
still not fitting in, and recognizes the best what they see in their
practices. So it is possible that a surgeon from USA sees some different
pieces/motives as a family physician from Australia or an internist from
Portugal.
3. All Protocols of ABM are written and reviewed in the free time of the
authors and reviewers, after a (mostly) very busy daytime job as physician,
without any funding. It is sometimes very difficult to find writers and
reviewers from around the globe, from different specialties, to review. And
since the communication is also sometimes difficult, because of time zones
and language and cultural diversity, it is difficult, when not impossible,
to write "the" correct protocol, especially on a complex theme.
4. This is also why all Protocols will be reviewed every five years.
5. How will we work in pracrice? Well: when we did bring together one of
the authors of the Protocol, Anne Eglash, USA, with one of the authors of a
commentary, Monica Pina, Portugal, and with the author of this article, Pam
Douglas, Australia, at the 8th ABM /EABM European Breastfeeding Conference
in Split, Croatia (May 2023), it was clear that there were different
opinions, but also much common ground. So we brought again together these
three authors for a discussion of three clinical cases, to exactly address
the problem of how to work clinically with mastitis. You will find this
webinar still in the educational centre of ABM under:
<https://abm.mclms.net/en/package/13047/course/24416/view> fir 25 dollars.
If you are not a member of ABM you have to create an account but this is
free.
I hope this helps in giving more background on protocols in general, this
special protocol, the authors, the critics and the way we are proceeding in
finding solutions for the big clinical issue of mastitis.
I apologize for the long post, but I was not able to write it shorter 😉.
Elien Rouw, MD, FABM
Bühl, Germany

Gesendet mit der Telekom Mail App
<https://kommunikationsdienste.t-online.de/redirects/email_app_android_sendmail_footer>