From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2021 12:46:45 -0500
Up here in the great white north, where hives are insulated (some year round), we add our 1st pollen patty early March to start the queen rearing cycle. Most of us do some feeding in fall to ensure plenty of winter stores (50-60lbs/box). Spring feeding is not required as the bees rarely starve (only if they have severe Nosema). 1st natural pollen is late April/early May. By adding the early pollen patty, we are able to easily access queen performance (initial size of nest in mid April - 1st warm day). By early May, we have 2 brood nest size measure points that can be used to access the queen. This allows me to do my 1st split or re-queen poor performers by mid May. If I wait a couple of weeks, I will have a colony full of swarms cells  for raising my Yukon queens. Fall nutrition (August) + healthy bees, are the critical success factors. Insulated hives are not stressed by late winter/early spring diurnal T swings. Increased heating requirements related to brood rearing (increased honey consumption)  are a non-issue.