Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:01:36 -0500
Hi all
I searched the archives and can't see where this has been posted before

> Langstroth writes that 'Bees can be wintered safely in nearly all climates, where summer is long enough to enable them to store a winter supply. In the natural state, the vital heat of the live hollow trees in which they dwell, helps to maintain a higher temperature than that of the outside air, and bees winter so well in such abodes, that travelers, who visit northern Russia, wonder how so small an insect can live in such inhospitable countries.'

I found the reference in:  Alfred Dietz & Carlos Vergara (1995) Africanized Honey Bees in Temperate Zones, Bee World, 76:2, 56-71, DOI: 10.1080/0005772X.1995.11099243

I was unable to find anything on the internal temperatures of trees in winter, I expect it varies according to species

PLB