From:
Margaret Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:52:18 -0400
Many good points already made on a difficult situation.  Even if this
breastfeeding parent weaned abruptly today -- which she does not want to
do! --  in one month post-weaning, the functioning breast would likely
not involute completely back to its resting state, which would improve
the chances in an attempt to surgically match it to the reconstructed
breast.  There are many layers to this question -- and everything in the
situation is being driven *not* by medical concerns, but by the
insurance requirement on the surgery's timing.   Is there any way to
appeal that ruling? Perhaps with a letter of support from knowledgeable
doctor?  (Is there anyone from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
there?)

I don't know how Spain's healthcare system works.  Insurance everywhere
is about the bottom line, and so it can also be pointed out that the
financial cost for this procedure will be the same whether it takes
place next month or years from now.   And plastic surgery on breasts is
often not "one and done," -- procedures are often re-done for various
reasons, so perhaps holding off on the initial procedure will reduce
later adjustments.

Likely no one else is valuing what is being gained, physically and
emotionally, from breastfeeding, and not just for the lucky nursling.
Cancer treatments can often affect the healthy breast as well.  This
breastfeeding mother, a cancer survivor, has already accomplished
something remarkable with sustaining her breastfeeding for this child to
a biologically normal age.  This is rarely done in our modern world,
even in ordinary circumstances -- so it's likely being viewed by
everyone around her as just an indulgence.  She may have found
breastfeeding emotionally very healing  --  to feel that her body, which
has been the source of pain and terror and worry, can do something so
happy and life-sustaining as birthing and feeding.

After facing cancer at such a young age, she also faces the possibility
of cancer returning.  Statistically, sustained breastfeeding does reduce
breast cancer risks in the general population. She needs every advantage

  Did I miss in the discussion if there was any possibility that she
will have another child?  Even though reduction surgeries do seem to be
improving at preserving lactation potential, the impact of a reduction
on milk production is always unpredictable and often detrimental -- and
for one-sided breastfeeding, all the capacity is needed. She obviously
values what she's accomplished, and someone this determined would
certainly want to do the same with another child.

It sounds like the person herself is considering the reduction because
perhaps it would feel like a step forward to have her breasts seem more
aesthetically right again -- that making them look more normal would be
putting the awful experience of cancer further behind her.  (Although
there are plenty of mismatched breasts out there without any such
traumatic story, and breast surgeries do not always create
picture-perfect results).  But maybe the decision  could be reframed
that the surgery is a step that can be taken when the surviving breast
has also served its normal function to her satisfaction.

Best wishes to all,

Margaret Sabo Wills, IBCLC, Maryland, USA