From:
Karen Frith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2020 11:14:17 -0400
Hello Everybody,
Has anybody ever heard of using Finasteride for a mother dx'd for PCOS to help with alopecia? This mother is pumping for her 5 month old and has had a whole host of antibiotics and prednisone due to difficulty breathing. She tested positive for COVID-19 a couple of months ago and is still having some SOB. Her obstetrician told her she had PCOS because of her hx of irregular periods (had 4 spontaneous pregnancies and births without any hormonal help) and because her hair is coming out in clumps. He prescribed her Metformin and Finasteride. She has had a 50% drop in supply since beginning it 4 days ago. I can not find any info on the use of Finasteride in breastfeeding women, although I have found studies saying it is not effective for hair loss in women. We have talked about her microbiome and stress as a possible cause of alopecia but I would like to follow up about this drug.
Thanks,
Karen Frith RN IBCLC