From:
Nuria Solano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2020 05:45:20 +0000
I found painful to bf or pump if there is any areolar edema, if there is any. Manually expressing is better.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 5:39 PM, Allyson Michaels <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have permission to post. First time mother with one week old infant. She had a vaginal delivery after pushing for 5 hours. She worked with one of my coworkers during her stay and had difficulty with latch during her stay. Latch, hand expression, and pumping with the Ameda Platinum were extremely painful. She could not tolerate a suction pressure of more than 2. She is home now and trying to pump with her Spectra with similar results. She has a Haaka that can use, obtaining only 10ml. Infant is sleepy at breast but does breastfeed some. She reported that her milk came in. She has denied any symptoms of plugged ducts or mastitis. However, infant had lost down to 11% of birth weight by 48 hours. Formula supplementation has been started. In talking with her today, her goal is to directly and exclusively breastfeed. I have already spoken to her about CST or chiropractic care for both her and the infant and has a relationship with a chiropractor she used during her pregnancy.

My question is about the extremely sensitive nipples. Any suggestions about what would work to allow her to meet her goal? I will be trying to get her in for a visit with me within the next 2 days. I do worry about the possibility of her losing her supply. What pumping suggestions have you while we work on latch?
Thank you
Allyson Michaels, MSN, RN, IBCLCCharlottesville, VA