From:
Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2022 21:15:53 +0200
Hi all,

I have no 'proof', but I have always been told this was the way wetnurses carried baby's around. In Europe it was not uncommon for rich people to have wetnurses from lower social classes, or wetnurses were used when the mother died in childbirth.
Baby's were swaddled quite 'strict' and the wetnurse took care of several baby's. This was the way she carried around the baby's - and probably fed them.

Here it is sometimes called 'the French baguette'-hold (long tall bread, carried under the arm).

Lydia de Raad
Volunteer babyfeedingcounsellor, Netherlands (Europe)
All opinions expressed in this email are my own