Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2022 21:15:53 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
Hi all, 

I have no 'proof', but I have always been told this was the way wetnurses carried baby's around. In Europe it was not uncommon for rich people to have wetnurses from lower social classes, or wetnurses were used when the mother died in childbirth. 
Baby's were swaddled quite 'strict' and the wetnurse took care of several baby's. This was the way she carried around the baby's - and probably fed them.

Here it is sometimes called 'the French baguette'-hold (long tall bread, carried under the arm). 

Lydia de Raad
Volunteer babyfeedingcounsellor, Netherlands (Europe)
All opinions expressed in this email are my own

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Amy Wagner
Verzonden: woensdag 6 juli 2022 15:20
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Football hold

Hello Lactnetters!!!

Does anyone happen to have information regarding the origination of the “football hold” as a breastfeeding position?  Mothers seem to prefer it, yet I find that babies do not,  preferring a prone position instead. Use of the prone “biologic” position has been life-changing for my practice as outcomes have improved beyond belief!!  Yet every day I struggle getting buy-in from staff and patients to “let the baby do it.” 

I also used those traditional holds for my babies, now 25 & 30, and struggled with nipple pain for months, yet with the prone position mothers have no pain at all, even with a very restrictive frenulum as I saw just yesterday.   Incredible!!  

Changing my own practice was difficult initially , but now that I have, the results are mind-boggling!  Hence my question, how did we get where we are?  Where did the football hold originate, and the cross-cradle for that matter?  I have been unable to find any historical information on this issue and I’m curious. 

Thanks for any information!  

Warmly,
Amy

Amy Wagner, BS, RN, CCES, IBCLC
Hershey PA 

Sent from my iPhone

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2