Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julie Tardos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2022 22:22:42 -0700
Consider the differences in meaning of the following terms:

To mother a child
To father a child
To parent a child

Very different meanings.

My son just got a vaccination, and the info sheet said that "pregnant and
breastfeeding people" could get the vaccine.  It was very awkwardly
phrased, and I felt like moms were erased.

Dads too, are often erased.  There are two magazines in the US called
Parents and Parenting.  Both magazines are aimed at moms.  Mothering
magazine (only online now), however, is aimed at moms and dads.  Most
parenting books, websites, and in-person groups and classes are aimed at
moms.  Dads have to search hard to find dads groups or actual parent groups
aimed at parents and not just moms.

I think it's more inclusive to use all applicable terms than just
"parent".  For example "breastfeeding mothers and parents".  Still on the
awkward side, but more inclusive.

IMHO,
Julie Tardos