Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:56:52 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Keyena, you wrote magic words from your heart. Thank you.

Last month, I attended a 3-part series given by Stephanie Wagner (with Lori
Feldman-Winter), on the topic of LBGTQIA+, inclusivity, lactation and
breastfeeding.  Ms Wagner's message was clear and strong: we are talking
inclusivity. Everyone, in all the majesty of their individuality, is a part
of feeding and tending to our babies.

I love the attitude of inclusivity, that we can use female pronouns where
appropriate (as determined by our clients) and male pronouns where
appropriate (as determined by our clients) and new or neutral pronouns
where appropriate (as determined by our clients). All we have to do is ask.
I love 21st century etiquette, with pronouns in our signature lines.

When I teach, I use predominantly female pronouns. Most breastfeeding
research is oriented to the female experience, as is most breastfeeding.
This is the disclaimer.  And, then,  class integrates the terms lactating
parent and chestfeeding person, along with the Gender Unicorn and case
studies, so the participants become familiar with the wide world of
lactation and breastfeeding. Bringing people close makes them familiar;
when we hear their stories, we can relate to their experience and embrace
them.

We don't want to ignore or to hurt anyone.

As I open myself to new ways of language (and life),  I reflect back to my
mother. I was in college (1968-1972) before she was legally permitted to
have her own credit card and checking account.  History doesn't change, and
inclusivity means that the fight for women's rights is still alive and
strong, along with the fight for the rights of all humans to love each
other.
Many things can be true at once.

The British TV series, Sex Education, included a story line about 2 young
men, who fell in love with each other. The tenderness and vulnerability of
the way that story was presented, with a new chapter every episode, opened
my heart big-time, as I saw that the experience of adolescent first love is
similar for everyone.

This dialogue, now and here, is a way that we change and grow, in
community.

I am grateful for Lactnet.

warmly,
--
Nikki Lee
RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC, RYT500