Options: Use Forum View

Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Mime-Version:
1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 16.0 \(3696.80.82.1.1\))
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:52:13 +1000
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=utf-8
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
Hi Lydia, 
I was interested in what you said about not being aware of any pitfalls or unintended consequences of desexing the language of female reproduction and maternity. We detailed many of these in our paper here https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgwh.2022.818856/full <https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgwh.2022.818856/full> and in particular in Supplementary File 1. I wondered if you hadn’t seen these or whether you didn’t think that they were a problem. I’d be very interested in hearing more about your views on this.

I am not aware of any culture or language that does not use sexed language. All have words to designate male and female and mothers and fathers. However, I am open to the prospect that I could be mistaken. Similarly, while I agree with you on the other harms of colonialism you describe, I am not aware of any culture where it was not understood that there are two sexes.

Kind Regards
Karleen

> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:22:35 +0200
> From:    Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Paper on use of sexed language in communication on maternity
> 
> Hi Keyena, 
> 
> Thank you for your words. It would be helpful for me to know which country your are from? 
> 
> As to the paper presented, my eye fell on a sentence used by Karleen in her email:
> 
> 'to avoid pitfalls and unintended consequences.'
> 
> I have been wrecking my mind whát (which?) 'pitfalls and unintended consequences' that could be?
> 
> As for the international perspective:
> I miss the cultures not using sexed language (Tagalog, parts of the Japanese cultural system), I miss the cultures/languages deliberately moving away from sexed pronouns (Scandinavia).
> 
> Colonialism, either by the USA or by European countries (centuries befóre the USA) led to wiping out original cultures and putting the religious beliefs in place. Two sexes, nudity is inappropiate, and worshipping nature is a sin. 
> 
> Lydia, LLL-Leader, Netherlands (Europe)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2